Selling Your House-Common Real Estate Documents

(February 12, 2013)

Are you selling your house?

Well, I just bought one this month. I was happily surprised to receive a form from the California Department of Consumer Affairs. Admittedly, I don't believe I have received a document like this before.

Why did you receive this information after selling your house?

I'm not sure, but it was helpful information because it addressed real estate fraud. The blue form from the Department of Consumer Affairs Real Estate Fraud and Information Program was created to help sellers and buyers and to prevent real estate fraud. This department offers free services that includes counseling, information, referrals, mediation and investigation of real estate complaints.

Common Real Estate Documents When Selling Your House

The form from the Department of Consumer Affairs outlined the three most common recorded real estate documents.

Grant Deed or Quitclaim Deed: These are used when there is a change of ownership to a property. This usually has to do with the buying or selling of a property. It also occurs when adding or removing an owner or placing the property in or out of a trust.


Deed of Trust: This is used to secure a loan. A deed of trust is recorded when a property is bought, refinanced or an additional loan is placed on the property (such as a second trust deed or a line of credit).

Reconveyance: This is recorded when a loan has been paid in full. There are two types of reconveyances, a "Full Reconveyance" and a "Substitution of Trustee and Full Reconveyance."

Do you think you might need help?

The purpose of the form I received was to show me what document was filed on my property. That is

helpful given all the fraud that occurs on a daily basis. If you receive this form and did NOT file the document that is being referred to, then call the Department of Consumer Affairs at (213) 974-1450. Call them if: 1) your name was forged on a real estate document, 2) your home was sold without your knowledge, 3) title to your property was transferred without your knowledge, 4) changes were made to the document AFTER you signed it, and 5) you suspect something was filed improperly.

I am happy that there is an agency out there (County of Los Angeles) to help those of us who are selling a house or buying a house and want help in case of fraud.

Here is the agency's full information:

County of Los Angeles Departement of Consumer Affairs

500 West Temple Street

Room B-96

Los Angeles, CA 90012

(213) 974-1450



Topics: sell house fast

Jennifer Shenbaum

Written by Jennifer Shenbaum

Jennifer Shenbaum is a real estate investor based in Southern California. She is a veteran of the housing market crash of 2007. Best of all, she offers free remodeling ideas to all who ask.

Post a Comment