Mold in your home can have multiple deleterious effects – not only can it cause respiratory issues and other symptoms of illness, it can have a significant effect on your home’s value should you wish to sell it. Mold is typically removable, but the method and how much it will cost depends on the extent of the outbreak.
If the affected area measures about 10 square feet or less, you can probably treat the problem yourself. If there’s more than that, you’re better of getting professional remediation. This can costanywherefrom a few hundred to upwards of $6000, depending upon the location of the mold and how much renovating needs to be done after it’s removed (i.e. replacing bathroom walls).
If you’re going to remove it yourself from a small area, you’ll need to seal the room off with plastic and duct tape (including vents), and remove and clean any affected objects. You’ll then need to perform a series of cleanings with detergent, followed by multiple washings with bleach and water. Experts recommend following these up with borate detergent to prevent re-growth. Search the Internet for how to get rid of mold in a house for explicit instructions.
If you’re thinking about selling your home but you’ve got more extensive mold problems than you can handle on your own, and you can’t afford to hire professionals to remove it, give us a call. We buy homes even with serious mold problems!