If you are reading this post, then most likely you have run into an issue with LA Housing's Rent Escrow Account Program.
If you have a single family residence or a condo, you will most likely only work with LA's Building and Safety, but if you have more than one unit, you will be working with both Housing and Building and Safety. Whether you are thinking it's time to sell your house or to work with the city of the violations, these tips will help.
10 Tips on Getting Out of REAP
In the best case scenario, you, as a property owner, avoid it all together and never have to think of it. Yet, if you do find yourself with a property in this situation, here are the 10 tips.
- You need to understand that getting out of REAP is a process. It's a process that is not only time-consuming, but is also costly.
- More importantly, the only one who is going to get you out of REAP is you. You must be your own advocate, working with the City of Los Angeles closely.
- You will be required to repair all the violations for which your property has been cited, as well as any additional violations that are found during the process.
- You will need to work closely with any administrator assigned to your case.
- Make sure that your property is available for anyone who needs to visit as it relates to REAP, meaning be at the property at the appointed time to meet anyone.
- Understand that you are working towards getitng your property in full (not partial) compliance.
- Once you receive your report, you will either have additional repairs or you will be ready for final inspection.
- Either way, there are additional steps, make the additional repairs or call for a final inspection and obtain the necessary signatures ensuring you have completed all requirements.
- You will be working with other departments, including Building and Safety, the Fire Department, Health Services and LADWP. Upon completion of all these requirements, your administrator must still recommend to the City Council that your property be removed from REAP.
- If the City Council votes to adopt the removal of your property, a 30-day notice closing the escrow account will be issued.
There is Always a Solution
When in doubt or you don't seem to be able to get anywhere, read through the tips above. The resources are there to solve your issue, but you need to do the work. Don't give up, there are always options. I've worked with property owners in the same situation. Occasionally, some property owners have decided that it's easier and better for them to sell the house, instead of devote the time and money to resolve the issues themselves..